Sunday, July 6, 2014

In God's eyes, there are no illegal immigrants in the Kingdom of God.

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, the tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

You recognize these words that are inscribed on the Statue of Liberty.  It describes a foundational value that we have as a nation.  They are words for us to reflect upon on this Fourth of July weekend as we celebrate our freedom and independence as a nation.  We give thanks for the values of freedom and democracy that characterize our way of life.  Going back to the humble beginnings of this great nation, we are a nation of immigrants; we are a nation of welcome; we are a nation of hospitality.  Can you imagine how many people wept with gratitude in reading these words as they were welcomed on the American shores?  My grandfather for one wept with gratitude as he came from Germany.

 My message today is not about how secure our borders should be against illegal immigrants.  We will leave this question to be debated in the halls of Congress.

Rather, my message is on today’s Gospel:
Jesus said:  “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

In God’s eyes, there are no illegal immigrants in the Kingdom of God.  In God’s eyes, there are no second class citizens.  All are welcome.  All are very much loved.  The beautiful words that are inscribed on the Statue of Liberty could be inscribed on the doors of our Church.   They express the Gospel message of “Come to me all you who labor and are burdened.”


Like our first immigrants who wept with gratitude, we too will live with an attitude of gratitude as we experience the depth of God’s love for each and every one of us.  Jesus gathers those burdened by sin and illness, those who are weak in faith or troubled in spirit, to come to him, and find refreshment, rest, and peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment