Monday, October 13, 2014

My sister Sue went home to God. Alleluia, Alleluia.


This weekend I am participating in my annual retreat at the Linwood Spiritual Center in Rhinebeck, NY.  This beautiful retreat center is in the Hudson Valley with a magnificient view of the mighty Hudson.  It is an eight day silent Ignatian retreat with my retreat director being Fr Jack Repolgie, SJ.  I need this time to be still and to increase my awareness of our loving God's presence in my life.

My retreat experience was cut short by the sad news that my older sister Sue had gone home to God Sunday morning.  I immediately left the retreat to be with my brother-in-law Don and their three children, Donna, Mary Ellen, and Mark, and my brother John and my sisters Anne and Jean.

My sister Sue has been dealing with MS for over 40 years.  She has experienced the cross in her life.  She has always been a giving, loving person.  She and her husband Don have shared a beautiful love story of marriage for 52 years.  She is a mother and a grand mother.  Her children Donna, Mary Ellen, and Mark generously share their love for their mom and dad in ways that show their gratitude for the love that have been given to them.

I look forward to presiding at my sister's funeral liturgy this Thursday at 10:00 am at St Joseph's Church and to celebrate my sister's sharing in the fullness of God's eternal life.  I have celebrated the funeral liturgy for my mom and dad and my brother Bill and will now do for my sister Sue.  I will once again affirm the deep truth that death is not a defeat.  Death is not the end.  Death is a birth into the fullness of God's eternal life.


My retreat continues...in a different sort of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment