Sunday, April 13, 2014

Palm Sunday Liturgy at St. Joseph's

Our Palm Sunday liturgy begins with the blessing of palms, the proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem, and the then the procession led by our altar servers followed by our parish choirs singing Hosanna to the Son of David and All Glory, Laud, and Honor.

The festivity of the liturgy invites to reflect on the celebratory component of Jesus' entry to Jerusalem and how he was greeted with palm branches but may we also remember that Jesus was a model of meekness, riding a donkey, the poor's man beast of burden.  He enters the city as a man of peace.  Jesus chose nonviolence, humility and simplicity to challenge the illusion of power.  Jesus died on the cross for love, laying down his life for his friends.

Pope Francis invites us to reflect on the question:  who am I before the Lord?  Who am I before Jesus who enters into Jerusalem?"  Am I capable of expressing my joy, of praising him?  Or do I distance myself from him?  Who am I before Jesus who suffers?  Am I like the Cyrenian who was returning from work, tired, but who had the good will to help the Lord carry the cross?

Where is my heart?  May this question accompany us this whole week.

May you join us in Church several times this week as we celebrate the holiest days of the Church -- the Sacred Triduum.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment