Sunday, April 6, 2014

The raising of Lazarus is an incredible miracle. We are called to believe in something even more profound.

My older brother and sister, Bill and Sue, have significant neurological diseases.  My sister Sue has been dealing with MS for about 45 years now.  My brother Bill died in 2003 from complications from lupus.

I have asked myself many, many times why my older brother and sister have had to deal with significant neurological disease and I have been blessed with good health.  Life has been unfair to my brother and sister.
The question for my brother and sister is how are they to be faith-filled and loving people while dealing with
illness in their life? This is a similar question for those who love my brother and sister. How do I cope with the death and illness of my brother and sister?

The Gospel account deals with the human heartache of death.  "Jesus wept."  We mourn deeply because we love deeply.  The Gospel account also illustrates the deepening of faith that comes through an experience of death.  Whether the death of a love one or one's own death, it is the moment where one realizes that all depends on God.

Jesus can and does bring Lazarus back to earthly life.  This is an incredible miracle.  But we are called to believe in something even more profound.  We are called to believe in a resurrection that tranforms, a resurrection that is lasting.  Jesus is the life we are seeking.  True faith has to include a belief in Jesus as the source of unending life.  In reflecting on the spiritual reality of the Lazarus account, Jesus is not just renewing our life that ends in the grave; Jesus is offering a life whereby we do not die at all.  Jesus is offering us a share in His risen life.

No comments:

Post a Comment